Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Balloons and Father's Day

The weekend hasn't been exactly what I envisioned when thinking about this years Father's Day. No triumphant Father's Day brunch due to Scott's intense work schedule, in fact only about 2 hours spent together today. On top of the time crunch I functioned through most of today with a pretty treacherous migraine. The tv has been on more then I like and Cora has been rolling with the punches as well as to be expected. All that aside she and I managed to pick out a fantastically personal flower arrangement for Scott and set it aside with some nice beer to help celebrate the day. The big present was a seriously impressive gas grill for the patio, but logistics forced us to give that to him several weeks early so he could enjoy early summer bbqing at its finest.

This morning during our errand running Cora got her first helium balloon and man that thing has been a hit. She has kept it near her all day, even napping with it dangling over her crib. It is so adorable to watch and leaves me wishing it was that easy for an adult to be filled with joy and wonder.

cora,summer

The grey wall in the background is an experiment in chalkboard paint. It needs a few more coats then it's all family memos and kiddo fun time.

cora,summer


Scott's flowers, simple and sweet.

fathers day flowers

Have I mentioned how much this kiddo loves watermelon? I remember that when I was pregnant with her I was obsessed with it, including at one point eating an entire melon by myself in a single day. So I guess the old wives tale is true in this regard, what you crave while pregnant is an indication of what that child loves. I can hardly keep up with her consumption, as long as she knows there is more watermelon she is pointing up at the counter with extreme concern until another piece is handed down to her. This is probably TMI but she is even pooping red half the time thanks to her watermelon intake.

cora,summer

cora,summertime


In other news...THE BRACES ARE OFF!!!! Woo hoo! Now I just have these retainers to deal with. It's a hard adjustment, in some ways they are a bigger pain then the braces. Mostly my irritation with them is in the way they affect my speech. It is very hard to speak with them in and usually involves lisping and possibly spitting on the person I am addressing. I am supposed to wear these 24 hours a day for a full year. We'll see how well that goes.

crystal,braces

And here we have another little video. I needed to catch a simple moment in Cora's day so I can look back and remember this time. It is filled with the dance between a tiny toddler who still needs help and an increasingly independent child who is more communicative every day. It all changes so very quickly.


Cora's First Balloon from Crystal Calanca on Vimeo.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!

1 comment:

  1. AAAH! What an adorable video! Loretta is a determined little climber like her...but she's 3 months behind and isn't attempting to get on the dining chairs yet.
    I need to get some melon slice for L. She's crazy about strawberries.
    And isn't it fascinating to see them get more independent?
    YAY for no more braces! WOO! You'll lose your lisp soon and will hardly notice the retainers.

    It sounds like you guys are off to a great start for the summer. Have fun!
    Lily

    ReplyDelete