Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Times They Are A Changin'

I woke up this morning in a pensive, reflective mood. Exhausted from a rough week with Cora not sleeping due to teething, I opened my computer to images of the Sept. 11th Twin Towers attack. My mind spun back through the last nine years, taking me to the morning it happened. I was still in college then, gearing up for another full school year. I walked into my apartment that morning to find my brother sitting in front of the television in shock. The first tower had just been hit. We sat together in the quiet house and watched in horror as the second building was hit and the eventual collapse of both. We grew up in upstate New York, we had both been to those buildings, and we had friends living in Manhattan. I have never felt so far away from that life as I did at that moment.

Nine years later and that day feels like yesterday. Nine years later and I remember visiting the site of destruction six months after while they crews were still removing pieces of the building and identifying small pieces of people. Nine years later and I pray this will be the only terrifying historical event that "I will recall exactly what I was doing at that moment" for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment